Kidal Temple is situated in the Rejokidal village of Tumpang Subdistrict in Malang Regency, approximately 20 km east of the town of Malang.
This temple is considered to be the oldest shrine in East Java, since Airlangga (11-12 AD) of the Kingdom of Kahuripan and the Kings of the Kingdoms of Kediri (12-13 AD) left only the Temple of Belahan and Jalatunda, which is a reservoir.
Kidal Temple was built in 1248 AD, following a funeral ceremony for King Anusapati of the Singasari Kingdom. The temple was built as the dharma of King Anusapati in order to receive the glorification of Shiva Mahadewa.
The temple is constructed entirely of andesite stones of a vertical geometric scale. There is a stone wall across the temple yard that acts as a fence.
The entrance gate of the temple heads westward, with the performer ‘s room having a kalamakara (the giant ‘s head) decoration above it.
The giant head decoration, which is terrifying with eyes wide open, open mouth, and two great and long curved fangs, offers a sense of superiority.
On the left and right corners there are fingers in threatening mudra, making a perfectly frightening impression that the sanctuary of the creature deserves to be guarded.
The base of the temple is adorned with medallion engravings in rows interspersed with frames of floral and ascending plantation motifs.
There is an animal statue on the left and right of the base of the stairs and on each projecting corner, which depicts a lion sitting in a human position with one hand in the air.
These statues look like supporting the upper edge of the base of the temple extending out of the veranda.