The Mpu Tantular East Java State Museum is a continuation of the Stedelijh Historisch Museum in Surabaya, established by Godfried Hariowald Von Faber in 1933.
Initially, the institution had just shown the collection in a small space in Readhuis Ketabang. Due to the generosity of a widow named Han Tjong King, the museum moved to Tegal Sari Street, which had a larger building.
When time went by, the museum’s analysts moved the museum to a more suitable spot, at Jalan Pemuda No.3 Surabaya. The installation took place on June 25, 1937.
After the death of Von Faber, the museum was run by the Public Education Foundation, which was funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture.
The museum officially opened on 23 May 1972 under the name of the East Java Museum. On February 13, 1974, the museum switched its status to a public museum, which was opened on November 1, 1974.
Due to the growing collections, the museum needed a wider area until 12 August 1977, when the museum officially occupied a new site, at Jalan Taman Mayangkara no. 6, Surabaya.
Over many decades, the collections have become more extensive, and more education programs have taken place in the museum. This involves a larger venue.
Finally, on May 14, 2004, the museum reinstated and relocated to a new location in Sidoarjo, precisely at Buduran Hill, Buduran District, Sidoarjo.
Mpu Tantular is an East Java philosopher who lived in the 14th century. According to the study, he lived in the golden age of the Kingdom of Majapahit.